Raw banana, potato and onion bajjis are very popular in south India. Bajji is a very popular snack on rainy days. It is very easy to make crispy bajji at home without using baking soda. Though baking soda is an essential ingredient in many bajji recipes, it has been avoided here. I have clearly revealed the secret to making puffed and crispy bajji. Consistency of batter is very important to get puffed and crispy bajji. The consistency of the batter should neither be too thick nor too thin. It must be of medium thick consistency. If the batter is too thin bajji will turnout soft and will absorb lot of oil. On the other hand if batter is too thick, the bajji will become hard. Lastly deep fry these fritters in medium flame. Ensure bajji is evenly cooked by flipping it for uniform frying on both sides.
Raw Banana/Potato/ Onion 20 slices
Bengal gram flour 1/2 cup
(Besan flourகடலை மாவு)
Sugar 1/2 tsp
Ghee 1 tsp
Chili powder 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
Omam(ஓமம்) 1 tsp
Ghee 2 tsp
Hing 1/4 tsp
Oil for deep fry
- Preparation time = 10 min
Cooking time = 25 min
1. Peel the skin of raw banana and potato. Slice them in long or round shapes. Slice onion in round shape
2. Soak raw banana, and potato slices in water to prevent browning
3. Heat oil
4. Mix all the ingredients.
5. Add ghee with sugar. Mix well with spoon or finger till you get creamy texture. Add this to main ingredients. This is the secret to get perfect bajji without using baking soda.
6. Add ½ cup water and whisk well. Then add 1 or 2 tbsp water. The batter should neither be thick or too thin. Use the batter immediately otherwise the texture of batter may change.
7. Dip the sliced vegetable slices in the batter. The batter gets coated on both sides of vegetable slices.
8. Drop into oil gently and deep fry. Stir occasionally
9. Fry until they become golden brown
10. Remove the fritters and drain oil with a paper towel
11. Serve with coconut chutney